The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
The Federal Aviation Administration holds air carriers and aircraft maintenance or responsible for meeting safety standards and regulations. FAA has their own safety compliance and enforcement program called under the Federal Aviation Administration Compliance Program.
The FAA required drug and alcohol testing programs fall under Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations 49 CFR Part 40. Testing is required by the Omnibus Transportation Employees Testing Act of 1991 and by DOT and FAA regulations (49 CFR part 40 and 14 CFR part 120). The FAA Drug Abatement Division oversees the aviation industry’s compliance with the drug and alcohol testing law and regulations.
FAA CFR Part 120 applies to the following employers
- All air carriers and operators certificated under CFR Part 119 of this chapter authorized to conduct operations under CFR Part 121 or CFR Part 135.
- All air traffic control facilities not operated by the FAA or by or under contract to the U.S. military.
- All operators as defined in 14 CFR 91.147.
- All individuals who perform, either directly or by contract, a safety-sensitive function listed in CFR subpart E or CFR subpart F.
- CFR Part 145 certificate holders who perform safety-sensitive functions and elect to implement a drug and alcohol testing program under CFR Part 120.
- All contractors who elect to implement a drug and alcohol testing program under CFR Part 120.
FAA Drug and Alcohol Testing Requirements
- Pre-employment testing*
- Reasonable suspicion testing
- Random selection
- Follow-up testing
- Post-accident testing
- Pulmonary Function test (when applicable/required)
*Only reason alcohol testing is optional
Refusal of an employee to undergo drug and alcohol testing will result to any of the following:
- Immediate removal from safety-sensitive duties
- Revocation of FAA certificate, rating authorization
- County, State, and Federal level
- Drug and Alcohol testing history
- Motor Vehicle Records check
- Driver Registry Check, pilots only
- Certification verification
- Citizen and employment verification
- Required Licenses verification
FAA Safety-Sensitive Positions
- Flight crew member duties
- Flight attendant duties
- Aircraft dispatcher duties
- Flight instruction duties
- Aircraft maintenance or preventive maintenance duties
- Ground security coordinator duties
- Aviation screening duties
- Air traffic control duties
- Operations control specialist duties
Tomo Drug Testing is your solution for convenient and accurate drug and alcohol testing.
Contact us for a free needs analysis and to find out how we can make accurate drug and alcohol testing better for your organization.